- 17 ounces soft tofu, cut into cubes
- 7 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sichuan peppercorns
- 2 stalks scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon doubanjiang
- 1 1/ 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons red chili oil, for cooking
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus 2 tablespoons water
Combine cornstarch and water and set aside.
Bring the water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the tofu and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a small skillet, toast the Sichuan peppercorns over medium heat until fragrant and set aside.
Heat the chili oil in a wok, add doubanjiang and stir to combine. Add the fermented black beans, garlic, ginger and scallion whites. Sauté until fragrant.
Add the mushrooms, vegetable broth, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Carefully use a wok spatula to fold the tofu into the sauce. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Garnish with remaining chopped scallion greens and serve hot with rice.