- 1 pound beef, such as chuck steak, shank or rump, cut into large cubes
- 1 pound small shallots, peeled
- 3 heads of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/ 2 cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/ 2 cup red wine
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F on the convection setting.
Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Add your beef with a splash of water and seal, do not brown the meat. Add ground black pepper and the sweet paprika. If you want the sauce a little thicker, at this point you can also add the flour. Gently sauté but be careful not to burn.
Peel the cloves of 1 head of garlic, the rest, leave whole. Add the baby shallots, peeled cloves of garlic, whole heads of garlic, bay leaves, stock, vinegar, and wine to the Dutch oven.
Transfer to oven, cover and cook slowly for 3-4 hours. Check the water level, and add a little if necessary. When the juices are thick and the meat is falling apart, it is ready!
Remove from the oven, check the stew for seasoning and serve with fresh chopped parsley, if using.