This easy one pot tomato curry made with potatoes and peas will soon be your go to weeknight dinner for a comforting gluten free meal. This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for it here to have 6 great dinner recipes (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
- 2 large potatoes, washed thoroughly and cut into cubes
- 1 1/ 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- salt, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/ 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/ 4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, toast the cumin seeds until fragrant. Add the chopped onions, garlic, ginger. Cook until they start to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, ground cayenne, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, fenugreek leaves (if using), salt, and cook, stirring, until fragrant and darkened in color, 30 seconds.
Add 1/4 cup of water and stir. Let the mixture simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure the spices don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add another 1/4 cup of water and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the peas and potatoes and add more water (if needed). Cover and cook until the potatoes are cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
Uncover the pan, turn off heat. Stir in the garam masala and fresh cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with flatbread or rice.