For the Sticky Rice
- 2 cups glutinous rice, rinse until water turns clear, and soak overnight or up to 4 hours, then drain well
- 1/ 2 cup roasted chestnuts
- 1/ 4 cup Shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 7 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- salt, to taste
- chopped scallions, for garnish
- fried shallots, for garnish
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine / vegetable broth
- 1/ 2 tablespoon stir fry sauce
- 1 teaspoon thick dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon white pepper
In a heated non-stick pan with 3 teaspoons of oil, sauté shallots until fragrant, then add mushrooms and continue to sauté until aromatic.
Add the sauce and continue to cook until well combined & drizzle the mixture with sesame oil. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Place drained glutinous rice in a heat safe proof bowl and add 1 cup + 1/3 cup water. Then, top rice with the mushrooms mixture and chestnut.
Steam rice over high heat for 30-35 minutes. Using a chopstick/fork, fluff rice by mixing mushrooms mixture until well combined. Season to your preference. Then, steam for another 20-25 minutes. (Be sure you have enough water for steaming). Note: some brands have a softer rice texture, in that case, please adjust the cooking time.
Turn off the heat and let it cool off, top with fried shallots and chopped scallions before serving. I paired it with some sautéd bok choy.