- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/ 4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/ 3 cup water
- 1/ 4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/ 2 cups uncooked, rinsed red lentils
Heat oil in a medium stock pot. Add ancho chili powder, chipotle powder, smoked paprika and cinnamon. Sauté spices for a minute. Add yellow onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. In a blender, purée tomatoes.
Add puréed tomatoes, water, sea salt and unsweetened cocoa powder to the pot with the onions and spices. Bring everything to a simmer. Add lentils, and cook on medium low heat (at a simmer) for 25-30 minutes until thickened and lentils are tender.
Serve over your favorite tortilla chips with toppings of choice, such as a vegan chipotle cheese sauce like this one.