- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/ 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/ 2 teaspoon urad dal, (split skinned black gram)
- 6 pearl onions
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- sprig curry leaves
- 2 large beets, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut
- Salt, to taste
- 1/ 2 lime, juiced
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and urad dal to it. Once the seeds start spluttering add the onions, green chilies and curry leaves.
When the onions turn translucent add the chopped beets and grated ginger. Mix everything, cover the pan and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes.
Finally, add the grated coconut, mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Switch off the gas, add fresh lime juice and serve with rice and rasam/ samabhar/ dal.