- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/ 2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/ 2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- Kosher salt, To Taste
- Black peppercorns, freshly ground, to taste
- Rice, steamed, for serving
- 2 avocados, sliced, for garnish
In a medium pan over medium heat, sauté diced onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add minced garlic, cumin, coriander, sweet paprika, and chili flakes to the pan. Cook for 20 seconds, then mix in the tomato paste.
Add the stewed tomatoes to the pan, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add broth or water if the mixture becomes dry. Once cooked, transfer everything to a blender, and blend until thick and smooth, with a few chunks remaining.
Return the blended mixture to the pan/pot on the stove. Mix in cooked chickpeas and coconut milk. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chickpea curry with white rice and avocado.