This recipe is featured in our Weekly Vegan Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for the meal plan here to have 6 great dinner recipes and a fun weekend bonus (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
Here @AshCuoco is mixing up your average "salad" by making this one all about U.S.-Grown Basmati Rice. It has texture, flavor and is filling, so you know you won't be hungry until your next meal. It is filled with roasted seasonal vegetables and herbs, so get going and try it out!
Want some more rice-forward dishes? Check out all of the recipes from the USA Rice campaign here.
For the Herb Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/ 2 small shallot, finely minced
- 1/ 2 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/ 2 teaspoon agave syrup, or cane sugar
- 1/ 2 teaspoon coarse Dijon mustard
- 1/ 2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/ 4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for vegetables
For the Rice and Vegetables
- 1/ 4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/ 4 cup almond slivers
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups cooked U.S.-Grown Basmati rice
- 1/ 2 cup micro pea shoots
- 1/ 2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
Make the sauce: In a large serving bowl whisk vinegar, shallot, herbs, agave, mustard, vegan Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Anchor your bowl with a kitchen towel and slowly drizzle in ¼ cup olive oil, continuously whisking until incorporated.
Make the rice and vegetables: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread breadcrumbs and almonds evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake about 6 minutes, tossing with a spoon and turning pan halfway through cooking time, until golden and fragrant.
Brush zucchini, tomatoes and garlic with olive oil. Sprinkle all sides with a few generous pinches of salt. Heat a grill basket or cast iron-grill pan over medium heat. Cook zucchini and tomatoes (in batches, if necessary) until tender and charred, about 3 minutes per side. Add garlic for the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
Add rice, roasted vegetables, breadcrumbs and almonds to serving bowl with vinaigrette. Toss well to coat in dressing. Top with pea shoots and scallions to serve.