- 1 cup dry black lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/ 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/ 4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- Bread, of choice, toasted
Add lentils and vegetable broth to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for about 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
While the lentils are cooking, heat oil over medium heat and cook the onion until it begins to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, black pepper and salt; stir to coat and cook for about one minute. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, worcestershire, molasses, dijon mustard and tomatoes. Add in the cooked lentils. Stir until incorporated and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
To make the cabbage slaw, in a medium bowl whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, dill and a pinch of salt. Add in the shredded cabbage and toss to coat.
To serve, spoon the lentil mixture over the toasted bread. Top with the cabbage slaw and sprouts if using.