Talk about an easy, crowd-pleasing appetizer! Spiced with Simply Organic ground cayenne and dried oregano, these fried halloumi sticks are about to become your new go-to. Think of them as mozzarella sticks, but for grown-ups!
This post is not in paid partnership with Simply Organic. While we do work with the brand, this recipe was crafted by our editorial team at FeedfeedBrooklyn.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1/4 cup peeled and grated cucumber
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks halloumi cheese, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne, divided
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites
For the tzatziki: In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, mint, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, grated cucumber, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a shallow bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne.
In a separate shallow bowl, combine panko, breadcrumbs, remaining 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cayenne.
In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg whites.
Dredge each halloumi fry in the flour mixture, then egg whites, then breadcrumb mixture.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook each fry until golden brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined sheet. Let cool and serve immediately with tzatziki.