Think of these breaded beauties as mozzarella sticks for adults. Served with a fresh, zesty tzatziki sauce, this could very well be the appetizer that you never knew you needed. Watch us make them here!
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh dill
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1/ 4 cup peeled and grated cucumber
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks halloumi cheese, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3/ 4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne, divided
- 1/ 2 cup panko
- 1/ 2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites
For the tzatziki: In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, mint, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, grated cucumber, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a shallow bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne.
In a separate shallow bowl, combine panko, breadcrumbs, remaining 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cayenne.
In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg whites.
Dredge each halloumi fry in the flour mixture, then egg whites, then breadcrumb mixture.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook each fry until golden brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined sheet. Let cool and serve immediately with tzatziki.