A simple wild rice recipe with sweet potatoes, spinach, and shallots is ideal for serving with your favorite protein. While vegan, this recipe is versatile enough to use with any type of stock. Toss in as many vegetables and toppings as you like.
- 2 (6oz) boxes long grain and wild rice mix
- 3 1/ 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- To serve: toasted pine nuts, pepitas or sliced almonds
In a medium pot, cook rice according to directions but subbing out the water for vegetable stock.
While the rice is cooking, add butter and olive oil to a pot on medium heat. Once melted, add sweet potato, mushrooms, and shallot. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Continue to stir periodically until caramelized.
Once sweet potatoes are cooked through, add spinach until wilted. Turn heat off and add cooked rice. Toss together to combine.
Serve immediately topped with toasted pine nuts, pepitas, or sliced almonds.