For the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/ 4 cup flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Simply Organic ground allspice
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Simply Organic ground nutmeg
- 3/ 4 cup onion, grated (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/ 4 cup panko
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mashed Potatoes or Cooked Egg Noodles, (optional), for serving
- Steamed Veggies (optional), for serving
- Lingonberry Jam (optional), for serving
In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, parsley, allspice, nutmeg, grated onion, salt, pepper, garlic, panko, and eggs until combined.
Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, measure out the meat mixture into roughly 35 (1.5 inch) balls.
In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ½ of the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides. This takes about 5 minutes. Set aside.
When all of the meatballs are browned, pour off any excess grease in the pan, into a heatproof vessel. Lower the heat to medium and add the butter to the pan. When the butter begins to bubble, sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
Add the beef broth to the pan a little at a time. Whisk the gravy until the broth is all incorporated. Add the salt, pepper, lemon juice, allspice and nutmeg. Whisk a few more times. Slowly add the cream.
Once the gravy begins to simmer, add the meatballs back into the pan. Simmer until the gravy has thickened up a bit and the meatballs are cooked all the way through, about 8-10 minutes.
Serve warm over mashed potatoes or egg noodles, alongside steamed veggies and lingonberry jam.