- 1/ 4 cup olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 5 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/ 4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup dark beer, (if gluten free, replace with chicken stock or water)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, roughly chopped, plus two tablespoons of adobo sauce
- 2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, for serving (optional)
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, optional
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot. Add onions and garlic and cook about 3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery, peppers and serrano chiles and season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the chili powder and cumin and cook until fragrant and the vegetables are coated in seasoning. Add beer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add chipotle, adobo sauce and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in the beans and shredded chicken then reduce to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Just before serving, stir in 2 ounces dark chocolate until completely melted, if using.
Serve chili with sour cream, cheese and cilantro. Top with pieces of cornbread if desired.
Recipe adpated from Mark Bittman
1 1/2 cups polenta
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp honey, divided
1 1/4 cups greek yogurt
4 tbsp butter, divided
flaky sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Whisk together the polenta, flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk together the greek yogurt, egg and 1 tbsp of honey. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until well combined.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of the butter in a 9 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat, then add batter. Smooth out the top, then place in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until light browned around the edges. Let cool slightly.
Melt the 1 tbsp remaining butter and brush it all over the cornbread, along with the remaining 1 tbsp of honey. Sprinkle with flaky salt and enjoy!