Ethan from @burlapandbarrel stopped by FeedfeedBrooklyn to talk whole spices!
Recipe and Headnote Rachel Gurjar
- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled, halved and sliced (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 1/ 2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sumac, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 large Handsome Brook Farm Pasture-Raised Organic Egg, slightly beaten
- 1/ 2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Demerara sugar, for topping
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, combine strawberries, ¼ cup granulated sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Let sit for 30 minutes and strain, reserving juices.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, remaining ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, sumac, and salt. Using your hands, gently work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles pea size crumbles. Add 1 cup macerated strawberries and toss to coat. Form a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg and cream. Combine with a fork, making sure not to over mix.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and form into a disc with an 8-inch diameter. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make the glaze by whisking powdered sugar and ¼ cup of juice from macerated strawberries together until a smooth glaze forms.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush tops of chilled scones with cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Drizzle with glaze and sprinkle with more sumac (if desired) and serve immediately. Scones will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.