- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/ 2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 dried red chilies
- 3 curry leaves
- 1/ 2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Petite Diced Tomatoes with Medium Green Chilies, drained
- 1/ 4 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut
- Salt, To Taste
- Crackers, of choice, for serving
Heat oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they pop. Add urad dal, dried red chilies, curry leaves and onion. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, until moisture has mostly evaporated, stirring occasionally. Mix in grated coconut. Turn off heat and let cool.
Transfer to blender or food processor and process until mostly smooth. Season with salt and serve at room temperature with crackers.