For the Crust
- 1/ 2 cup (4 ounces) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/ 4 cup (2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/ 2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/ 4 teaspoon fresh, finely chopped thyme
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3 ounces ice cold water
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or butter
- 3 medium leeks, white and tender green parts halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise and rinsed well
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Muir Glen Diced Tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved for your favorite pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) package cremini mushrooms, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3-4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons parsley, freshly chopped, for serving
Place oven rack in lower third of oven for best results, and to avoid a soggy dough bottom. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
To make the crust, whisk flour, salt and thyme in a large bowl. Add butter and using your fingers gently rub butter into flour mixture, making pea-sized chunks. Add cold water and gently mix with a spatula until a shaggy dough forms.
Bring together gently in the bowl, folding over a few times to incorporate all the butter and flour. Shape into a ball, cover and refrigerate 10-15 minutes.
To make the filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to combine, then remove from heat.
Remove the dough from refrigerator, place on lightly floured counter, and roll out to 1/4 inch thick circle, about 12 inches in diameter. Place dough on parchment lined sheet pan.
Place filling in the center of the circle leaving about 2-3 inches around crumble goat on top of filling. Fold edges of dough over the filling. Using a pastry brush, brush on egg wash.
Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with freshly chopped parsley. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days. To warm, place in toaster oven for a few minutes.