- 4 small corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- Salt, To Taste
- Black pepper, To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or paprika
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Medium Green Chilies
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped, optional
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- Shredded cheese, for topping
- Sour cream, for topping
- Avocado, sliced, for topping
- Lime, juiced, to serve
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil. Add the tortilla strips and toss with 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Arrange in a single layer and bake for 10-15 minutes, until light golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and sauté for a few minutes, until the onion becomes translucent and jalapeno is soft. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir it to mix it well and cook it for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Then add the chicken stock, cilantro and half of the tortilla strips. Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer it for 30 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Add the shredded chicken and corn. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Keep the soup over low heat for another couple of minutes.
Transfer the soup into bowls and top with cheese, sour cream lime juice, cilantro, and crisp tortilla strips. Enjoy warm Chicken Tortilla Soup with your favorite toppings.