For the Marinade
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/ 4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large chicken breasts, boneless skinless, diced
For the Sauce
- 1/ 4 cup unsalted butter, or ghee
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1-2 serrano chiles, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 1/ 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- (15 ounce) can Muir Glen Tomato Sauce
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt, To Taste
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full fat coconut milk, heavy cream or half and half
- Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Cashews, toasted, for serving
- Microgreens, for serving
- Rice, of choice, for serving
Combine all marinade ingredients besides chicken in a medium bowl and stir well. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
To make the sauce, heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add serrano chiles, garlic and ginger, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 20 minutes, adding a few drops of water occasionally if drying out and sticking. Add garam masala and paprika and stir well. Cook until fragrant, a few minutes, again adding water to reduce sticking.
Stir in the tomato sauce. For a really smooth sauce, transfer to blender and blend until smooth. If not, feel free to skip this step.
Return the sauce to your skillet and add the rest of the can of tomato sauce. Add sliced bell pepper, fenugreek, and salt.
Meanwhile, cook the chicken. Preheat broiler and place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Place chicken pieces on top of rack. Broil, turning occasionally, until browned in spots and cooked through, about 8 minutes total.
Simmer for 30 minutes on medium-low heat or until thickened into a paste. Add the can of coconut milk and stir until very smooth. Taste and correct seasonings. Add chicken, stir well, and serve with your carb of choice. Top with plenty of chopped cilantro, toasted cashews, and microgreens. Enjoy!