This chickpea bowl is the perfect nourishing comfort food on a hot summer day! Layers of seared mushrooms, crispy chickpeas and crunchy cucumbers get a drizzle of spicy tahini sauce to round it all off.
For the Vegetables and Chickpeas
- 1 bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 10 ounces chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 3/ 4 cup cucumber, sliced
- 3 cups arugula
For the Spice Mixture
- 3/ 4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/ 4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/ 4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/ 4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/ 4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/ 4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/ 4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/ 4 teaspoon dried thyme
For the Spicy Tahini Sauce
- 3 tablespoons pourable tahini
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/ 4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/ 4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/ 2 lime or lemon, juiced
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover 2 baking trays with parchment paper and arrange chopped veggies on one, chickpeas on the other. Or do on 1 tray if it can fit, but keep separated.
In a small bowl, combine spices for spice mixture.
Drizzle the vegetables and chickpeas with oil, toss well to coat, very generously sprinkle with spice mix, toss. Bake.
While the vegetables are cooking, make your tahini sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk tahini, hot sauce, spices, and lime juice until well incorporated. then slowly add 2 tablespoons of water while whisking. Adjust with more water, as needed.
After 15-20 minutes, remove the chickpeas. Toss the veggies, bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
Let cool while arranging arugula in bowls. Top with cucumbers, avocado, chickpeas, veggies.