- 1/ 2 medium white onion, cut in thirds
- 1/ 2 medium jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/ 2 cup breadcrumbs, or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
In a high powered blender or food processor combine the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and pulse until blended into small pieces. Add the beans and 1 tablespoon oil to the blender. Pulse 2-3 times, until it forms a sticky mixture.
Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, cumin, chili powder and salt.
Using your hands divide the black bean mixture into 3 large balls. Flatten the balls down and form your patties.
Heat a pan or cast iron skillet on medium heat. Once hot add 1 tablespoon of oil and cook each burger for 5 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve with your favorite toppings.