- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced green chiles
- Cilantro, freshly chopped, for garnish
- Scallions, chopped for garnish
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, then add garlic and cumin and cook another 30 seconds. Stir in broth, tomatoes, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add sweet potato. Cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add black beans and chiles, and cook about 2 minutes.
Serve in bowls, garnished with cilantro and scallions.