- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or water
- 1 medium yellow onion or 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/ 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 1/ 2 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/ 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- Large handful spinach, rinsed
- Juice of 1 lime
- cooked rice, for serving
Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
Add minced garlic and spices. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next, add the carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, chickpeas, coconut sugar, coconut milk, salt, and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes and carrots have softened.
Turn off the heat and mix in the spinach. Cover the pot for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach leaves are wilted.
Serve over basmati rice with a squeeze of lime juice.