Pumpkin puree gives this curry delicious fall flavor and creaminess. This pumpkin curry is made with spinach, coconut milk, cilantro and chickpeas for some heartiness. Serve this one pot curry recipe over rice.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or water
- 1 medium yellow onion or 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/ 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 1/ 2 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/ 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- Large handful spinach, rinsed
- Juice of 1 lime
- cooked rice, for serving
Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
Add minced garlic and spices. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next, add the carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, chickpeas, coconut sugar, coconut milk, salt, and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes and carrots have softened.
Turn off the heat and mix in the spinach. Cover the pot for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach leaves are wilted.
Serve over basmati rice with a squeeze of lime juice.