- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onion, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces on the diagonal
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/ 2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/ 2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/ 2 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 ounces dried medium egg noodles
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/ 4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 4 teaspoon chinese five spice
- 1/ 4 teaspoon coriander seeds
Start by browning off the meat in a large cast-iron pot over high heat. Once browned, remove and leave to one side.
In the same pan, lower the heat to medium low and add the grated ginger and crushed garlic. Add the tomatoes and onions to the pot. Place the beef back into the pot and pour in the beef stock, hoisin sauce, sugar, soy, chili flakes and rice wine.
Next, using a muslin spice bag or cheesecloth add the spice bag ingredients and tie securely with twine.
Add the bag into the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Remove the beef once it starts to fall apart.
Allow the beef to cool slightly and then using two forks, shred the beef so it is pulled. Reserve beef.
Add the carrots, red cabbage and pepper to broth and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the dry medium egg noodles to the broth to cook until tender.
Serve with the shredded beef and top with sliced fresh spring onion. So delicious!