"This Manhattan is somewhere between a traditional Manhattan and a black Manhattan. The base is Michters Rye with a split sweetening element of Amaro Montenegro and Punt e Mes Sweet Vermouth. The real shining star here is the coffee bitters that give it a great spiced coffee flavor. Shoutout to @shake_and_stehr for inspiring me to try coffee bitters and sending me the original recipe. These are super easy to make and have really kick ass flavor. The coffee, Amaro, and rye combo makes for a perfect winter manhattan recipe."
Manhattan with Homemade Coffee Bitters
Prep time 5mins
Serves or Makes: 1
- 2 ounces Michter’s Rye Whiskey
- 1/ 2 ounce Punt E Mes Sweet Vermouth
- 1/ 4 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- 3 dashes coffee bitters, recipe below
- 1 dash orange bitters
- Luxardo cherries, for garnish
- Orange, peel, for garnish
Stir all ingredients together. Pour into a glass and garnish with cherries and orange peel.
For the Homemade Coffee Bitter
- 5 ounces Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy (100 Proof)
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/ 4 slice orange
To Make the Coffee Bitters
Combine all ingredients in an airtight jar. Infuse for 2 weeks, then strain out solids.