- 1 bunch large oyster mushrooms, torn into large chunks
- 3 stems fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 whole yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/ 2 cup Imagery Winery Pinot Noir
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, up to 12 ounces
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
Marinade the mushrooms with thyme and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Over medium high heat, add olive oil to a large cast iron pan. Add the marinated mushrooms and brown, pressing with a weighted press and flipping until both sides are brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the chopped bacon to the warm pan and render until crispy.
Add the onions and season with salt and pepper, and allow them to cook until they begin to brown.
Add the brown sugar and Imagery Winery Pinot Noir and reduce until the onions are cooked through and caramelized.
To build the sandwich, layer the cheese, onions, mushrooms, more cheese, and top with the remaining slice of bread.
Spread a layer of mayonnaise onto the outside of the bread and add the sandwich to the pan, browning on both sides using a weighted press.
Enjoy with a glass of Imagery Winery Pinot Noir!