Happy Friday, guys!! Nothing fancy today at Cake O'clock, it's been a hectic week. A first attempt at a dairy, nut and sugar free version of an Applesauce-Blueberry Sunflower, Oat & Spelt Muffin (gee what a mouthful!). Sweetened by a homemade Pacific Rose applesauce, honey and spiked with a good amount of vanilla, ground cinnamon and cardamom Pretty dang good!
- 1 1/ 4 cups Rolled Oats
- 3/ 4 cup Sunflower Seed Kernels
- 1/ 2 cup Organic Light Spelt Flour
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoon Double Acting Baking Powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Sea Sal
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/ 3 cup Coconut Oil
- 3/ 4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/ 3 cup Sugar-Free Natural Applesauce
- 5 tablespoon Pure Honey
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Paste
- 1 Apple, grated
- Topping: 1 Medium Apple, cored, halved and sliced thinly with a mandolin & Handful of Frozen Blueberries (approximately 3-4 each muffin)
- coconut oil, as needed
Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Grease or line a 12- cup muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
Using a food processor, blitz all of the dry ingredients together on high speed until thoroughly mixed and the rolled oats are of a coarse grind. Set the dry mix aside in a mixing bowl.
Add all the wet ingredients except for the grated apple into the food processor and blitz until well combined.
Form a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, grated apples and fold through until just combined. Scoop batter into the muffin pan and divide equally.
For the topping, lightly brush the sides of the thinly sliced apples with coconut oil and gently push 2-3 slices into the batter. Do the same with the handful of frozen blueberries, pushing 3-4 gently into the batter.
Bake in the oven between 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of a muffin emerges clean.
Let cool on a cooling rack. Enjoy!