- 2 kilogram (4.4 lb) mussels
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tomato, cored, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 120 milliliter (3/4 cup) vegetable or chicken stock
- 50 milliliter (1/4 cup) soy cream
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- finely chopped chives, chili oil, chili pepper, crusty bread for serving
Clean and remove the beards from the mussels. Prepare the ingredients and chop the garlic, onion and tomato.
Heat the sesame and vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add the miso and tomato, cook for 2 minutes more. Pour in the broth, add fish sauce and mirin. Bring to a boil and add the mussels. Simmer for 8 minutes, covered, over medium heat. Stir, cover and simmer for 2 minutes more.
Turn off the heat, add the soy cream and unsalted butter, cover and let sit for 1 minute until butter is melted. Stir, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Top with chives and fresh chili, drizzle with some chili oil. Serve immediately with toasted bread. Eat!