- 3 bell peppers, cut in half, seeds and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/ 2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/ 4 cup orzo, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/ 2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into ¼ inch slices
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place bell pepper halves in a large baking dish and drizzle with two tablespoons olive oil plus Kosher salt. Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping peppers over halfway through. They should be softened, but not too squishy. When peppers are done, set aside but leave the oven on.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Once hot, add in onion and saute until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Add in ground beef, plus Kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir often and cook until the meat is brown, 8-10 minutes. Next, add in the minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in crushed tomatoes and cooked orzo and mix well. Add in parmesan & mozzarella and stir to combine. Add in parsley and mix. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Stuff the peppers - Carefully fill them with the ground meat mixture. Top each pepper with a slice of mozzarella cheese and place back into the oven (at 375°F) for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Crank the oven up to a broil and cook for about 3 more minutes, until the cheese is deep golden brown. Enjoy!
Stuffed peppers are such a classic - and for good reason! They’re easy to make, filling, delicious, and easy to customize. This Italian-inspired version calls for ground beef, tomato sauce, and plenty of cheese. These are wonderful when served right away, but also work great for a meal prep. Just reheat in the oven until the cheese is nice and melty again.