- 1/2 pack firm tofu, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 stalks lemongrass, cut into 3 inch sticks
- 15 leaves kaffir lime
- 3 slices galangal
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste, or sambal
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 Thai chilis
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian fish sauce
- 2 limes, juiced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, plus more for a creamier version
- 3 ounces black rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
In a lightly oiled pan over medium heat, fry the tofu until browned and crispy on both sides. Remove from the pan and sauté the mushrooms and shallots, adding oil if needed. Set aside.
Pound lemongrass using the back of the knife a few times to release flavor.
In a heated non-stick pan with 2 teaspoons of oil, sauté lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal until fragrant. Then, stir in sambal/red chili paste, tomatoes, Thai chili, 'fish' sauce and stock.
Let simmer and slowly add lime juice (1 tablespoon at a time). Taste test as you go, adding more lime juice for more sourness. Season with salt. Stir in coconut milk and turn off heat.
Place cooked noodles, tofu, mushrooms & greens in a bowl, ladle soup over & add a little chili oil, fried shallots, more lime leaves when serve.