Take your pureed soup game to the next level with this spicy number. Almond milk provides a nutty flavor and creamy texture to this silky smooth concoction. Topped with fresh cilantro, toasted almonds, and an extra drizzle of almond milk, this luscious sweet potato and parsnip soup is about to be the flavor explosion that will get you through the winter.
I partnered with with the Almond Board of California to create this recipe. For more almond milk recipes, visit almonds.com.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (about 1-inch piece) fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups almond milk, plus more for serving if desired
- 1/ 4 cup almond butter
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- 2 cups diced peeled parsnips (about 2 large parsnips)
- 4 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/ 2 cup fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro, toasted almonds, red pepper flakes for serving
In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeño, garlic, and ginger and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add curry paste and curry powder and stir until combined, about 1 minute.
In a small bowl, whisk together almond milk and almond butter until smooth. Add the almond milk mixture to the pot, along with the vegetable broth, parsnips, and sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
Bring the soup to a low boil over medium-high heat and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the potatoes and parsnips are fork-tender, about 18-20 minutes.
Using a blender, add soup in batches and purée. Be careful to avoid hot steam escaping from the lid, blend on low and slowly increase the speed until the soup is completely smooth. You can also use an immersion blender.
Once puréed, add salt, pepper and lime juice. Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings, if desired.