This Creamy Potato Leek Soup created by TheRealFoodRDs is just what you need to warm up this winter! It's so easy and comes together in your Vitamix in minutes. Add some crispy bacon on top for added crunch too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1/ 2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/ 4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/ 2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes with skin intact
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- chopped parsley, (optional), for garnish
- chives, minced, optional (for serving)
Place a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When pot is hot, add ghee or oil and wait for it to start to shimmer before adding the leeks, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until onions start to soften.
Add garlic, stir and cook another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add remaining ingredients (except bacon and optional garnish) reserving ½ cup broth for later. Bring just to a boil then lower the heat to maintain a vigorous simmer and cover with a lid.
Cook for 20-22 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat and ladle half of the soup to the container of the blender.
Secure lid in place and blend until soup is creamy with some chunks remaining (unless you want it really creamy, then continue to blend to your liking).
Carefully remove blender lid and pour blended soup back into the pot. Stir in additional ½ cup broth, if needed, to thin soup to desired consistency. Taste and season with additional salt if needed. Stir in bacon and garnish with optional chopped parsley and/or chives and fresh cracked black pepper before serving.