Healthy Chipotle Bison Chili
Prep time 7mins
Cook time 17mins
Serves or Makes: 4
- 1/ 2 large white onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce & 2 extra teaspoons of adobo sauce
- 16 ounces ground bison
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 can Tomato Love Seasoned Diced + Crushed Tomatoes Chili Starter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup strong brewed black coffee
- 2 cups fresh chopped baby spinach
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
In a large pot, add white onion, oil and garlic and mix thoroughly until the onion softens and the raw fragrance of garlic disappears. Then, add all ingredients except coffee, spinach (if using), and kidney beans in the order listed above, mixing between each.
Mix thoroughly so that the spices are well combined with the bison and the bison is cooked through. This will take about 7-10 minutes. Then, add coffee, spinach, and beans. Mix again.
Cover pot with lid and bring to a boil until it reaches a simmer and the beans are soft and cooked through. Adjust salt per taste.
Once done, top with shredded cheddar, sour cream, scallions & lime for garnish.