Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 1/ 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 teaspoon rounded baking soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon rounded baking powder
- 1/ 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/ 2 cup oil
- 1 1/ 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/ 4 cup sour cream
- 1/ 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/ 4 chopped walnuts
To Make the Carrot Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin tin with liners and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Beat sugar, eggs, and oil on medium speed in a stand mixer, about 2 minutes, until thick and foamy. Add grated carrots, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly mix in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared muffin tin until each is just over half full. Bake 18-20 minutes until tops spring back when lightly touched. (If making mini cupcakes, bake 15-16 minutes.) Remove from oven to cool in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
For the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/ 2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/ 3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped, for topping, optional
To Make the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat together cream cheese, butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and smooth, about 2 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until brown sugar completely dissolves. Mix in vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Add sugar as needed to make a thick, spreadable frosting. Whip until smooth, light, and creamy.
Fill a piping bag with a large star tip or use an offset spatula to frost cooled cupcakes.