What’s your holiday table missing? We think it’s this bright & vibrant holiday salad with roasted delicata squash, candied pecans and a spiced orange vinaigrette made with spices from our friends at Simply Organic.
For the salad
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Simply Organic ground ginger
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Simply Organic smoked paprika
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Simply Organic cinnamon
- Pinch of Simply Organic ground nutmeg
- Pinch of Simply Organic cayenne pepper
- 1 medium delicata squash, ends trimmed, seeds discarded and cut into ½ inch rings
- 1/ 3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3/ 4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh kale, center rib removed, leaves chopped
- 1/ 2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, cored and shredded
- 1 small head radicchio, halved, cored and shredded
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup spiced pecans (recipe below)
- 1/ 2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/ 2 cup pomegranate arils, for serving
Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the ginger, smoked paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne to a small bowl and mix to combine. Add half of the spice mixture to a jar with a tight-fitting lid and top with orange juice, honey, shallot, olive oil and salt and pepper. Shake until emulsified and set aside.
Place the squash rings on the prepared baking dish and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Add the reserved spice mix to the squash rounds and mix with your hands so each round is well coated with spices. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 20 minutes, flipping the rounds halfway through, until golden brown and tender.
Meanwhile, add the kale to a large bowl. Pour about 2 tablespoons of the dressing into the bowl and massage the kale leaves with your hands until tender, about 2 minutes. Once tender, add the Brussels sprouts and radicchio to the same bowl. Add ½ cup more of dressing, tossing to coat.
To serve, add the dressed greens and radicchio to a large platter and top with dried cranberries, apples, roasted squash, spiced pecans and pomegranate arils. Drizzle with a bit more dressing and serve.
Preheat the oven to 325˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with salt by hand until foamy. Add sugar, smoked paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and stir until well combined. Fold in the pecans and melted butter, then spread onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, or until golden brown.