Treat your mom to breakfast in bed with savory waffles!
- 1 3/ 4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat flour
- 1/ 2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Polenta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking powder
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/ 2 cups milk
- 3/ 4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon snipped chives
- Hot sauce, optional
- Optional toppings: fried egg, poached egg, avocado, smoked salmon, creme fraiche
- Special equipment: Waffle Iron
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, polenta, baking soda, baking powder and black pepper. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the the milk, greek yogurt, and egg whites. Whisk until well combined.
Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the melted butter, then add the cheese, chives and hot sauce (if using).
Let batter rest while you preheat your waffle iron. Grease waffle iron with butter or nonstick spray and cook batter according to the instructions that came with your machine*
Top waffles with savory items of choice such as fried eggs, poached eggs, avocado, smoked salmon and/ or creme fraiche. *Note: We cooked our waffles for about 4-5 minutes, or until the batter stopped steaming.