One of my go-to default dinners is a stuffed sweet potato. As a single gal, I’ve come to appreciate their versatility. They’re a blank slate for whatever I have in the fridge. They come in a variety of colors, each with their own unique flavor and texture. I love the purple skinned, white fleshed Japanese sweet potatoes called Murasaki. They’re starchier, sweeter and have a chestnut-like flavor. Here, I’ve gone the savory route with crispy mushrooms and ground plant-based meat, a crunchy salad and lots of chili oil.
Slicing the sweet potatoes in half and roasting them cut-side down means they cook in less time. More surface area = crispier edges. While they bake, brown your plant-based meat and mushrooms in a skillet. This is my new favorite combo whether I’m making meatballs, lettuce wraps or burgers. Topped with a fresh and crunchy celery and scallion salad inspired by Chinese tiger vegetable salad, these stuffed sweet potatoes are all about texture.
This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for it here to have 6 great dinner recipes (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
- 4 sweet potatoes (any color), halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil such as Brightland Alive Olive Oil
- 2 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper such as Diaspora Aranya Pepper
- 3 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1/ 4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, mint and/or chives, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar such as Eden Brown Rice Vinegar
- 3/ 4 pound plant based ground meat
- 3/ 4 teaspoon Fly by Jing Mala Spice, or your favorite spice blend
- 1/ 2 pound crimini, shiitake or oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds for topping
- Crunchy chili oil for topping such as Fly by Jing Sichuan Chili Crisp
Heat oven to 400°F. Drizzle sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, cut-side down, and bake for about 20 minutes until fork-tender.
While the potatoes bake, in a medium bowl combine green parts of scallions, celery, herbs and rice vinegar. Season with salt. Set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add plant-based meat, season with Mala spice (or your favorite spice blend), salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up any large pieces with a spoon, until meat is brown and crisp, about 5-8 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, undisturbed, until mushrooms start to release their moisture, adding more oil if needed. Continue to cook until mushrooms start to brown, about 5 minutes. During the last few minutes of cooking, add the white parts of the scallion. Season with more spice mix, salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
To assemble sweet potatoes: For each serving, place 2 sweet potatoes halves, cut side up, on a plate. Top with mushroom mixture and celery salad. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, a drizzle of chili oil and more herbs, if desired.