- 1 (16 ounce) block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3/ 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cayenne
- 1/ 2 cup plant based milk,
- 1/ 2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/ 2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/ 2 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/ 4 cup buffalo sauce, (we used Frank’s Red Hot)
- Scallions, sliced, for serving
- Blue cheese, crumbled, for serving (optional)
- Salad greens, for serving
Line a sheet pan with several layers of paper towels. Place tofu on paper towels and cover with a few more layers of paper towels. Place something heavy (like a cast iron or a Dutch oven) and let press for at least 30 minutes.
In the meantime, combine flour, garlic powder, and cayenne in a shallow bowl. Add milk into a separate shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Panko.
Once tofu is done pressing, slice into ½-inch thick planks. Dredge tofu nuggets in flour mixture, tapping off any excess. Dredge in plant based milk, and finally breadcrumb mixture, making sure to completely coat. Repeat with remaining nuggets.
Heat oil in a medium cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook breaded nuggets until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet and season with salt immediately. Repeat with remaining nuggets. Once all nuggets are fried, use a pastry brush to spread buffalo sauce on nuggets. Serve with scallions, blue cheese, and greens immediately. Nuggets will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.