Comfort food doesn’t get any better than this bowl of bucatini! This classic Italian pasta dish gets its rich flavors from Handsome Brook eggs, a combination of Parmesan and Pecorino-Romano cheese, and crispy guanciale. Using reserved pasta water for the silky smooth sauce provides a starchy backbone that brings the whole meal together. Serve the noodles with an extra flurry of grated Parm, fresh parsley, and a whole raw yolk. The richer, the better!
- 1/ 2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/ 2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 Handsome Brook Large Grade A Egg Yolks, at room temperature
- 2 Handsome Brook Large Grade A Eggs, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, To Taste
- 1 pound dried bucatini
- 4 ounces guanciale, or pancetta, diced
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 4 Handsome Brook Large Grade A Egg Yolks, optional, for serving
In a large heat safe bowl, whisk together Parmesan, Pecorino-Romano, 3 egg yolks and whole eggs. Season with black pepper, then set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add bucatini and cook until al dente, 9-11 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
Meanwhile, add guanciale to a large skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until fat is rendered and guanciale is golden, 8-10 minutes.
Stir reserved pasta water into egg mixture to temper, then, working quickly, add cooked hot pasta and guanciale (including rendered fat). Toss until cheese has melted and eggs thicken into a creamy and glossy sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide between 4 bowls, nestling 1 egg yolk in each bowl, if desired. Garnish with more grated Parmesan and parsley, then serve immediately.