- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 1/ 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/ 2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/ 2 cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/ 4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon strong hot coffee
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and more for topping
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped, (optional) roasted peanuts
Start by preheating the oven to 180C (350F) and line muffin pan with paper liners. Lightly brush them with coconut oil.
Mix the almond milk and the chia seeds, let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. Then mix in the maple syrup, coconut oil and sugar. Add the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt, mix well.
Divide the batter evenly in two bowls. In the one, add the cocoa powder, chocolate chips and hot coffee and mix well. Add the peanut butter and the optional chopped roasted peanuts to the other bowl and mix to well incorporated.
Layer the batter in the prepared muffin liners, one tbsp of chocolate then one of the peanut butter batter. Repeat until all the batter is gone. Top with a sprinkle of chocolate chips and bake in the oven for about 18-22 min depending on your oven. Check that a stick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
Let the muffins cool completely before removing them from the muffin pan. Remember that these are vegan muffins so they can be a little delicate before they are cooled. Store in an air tight container for 4-5 days. Enjoy!