For The cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1/ 2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1-2 cups reserved pasta water
For the pasta
- 1 package short noodles of choice (such as penne or rigatoni)
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 1/ 2 onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/ 2 bunch rapini, chopped
- 2 fistfuls (about 2 cups) spinach
- 1 1/ 2 cups vegan taco meat
- 2 cups cheese sauce
- Chili flakes, to top
- Vegan grated parmesan, to top (optional)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
For the cheese sauce
In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and chili flakes until softened and fragrant. Transfer to another dish.
To a blender, add the squash, drained soaked cashews, milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, Dijon, onion, and garlic to a blender. Pulse until just combined.
On high speed, slowly add the pasta water to thin out the sauce to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.
For the pasta
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and reserve pasta cooking water.
In a large pan over medium heat, heat olive oil, chili flakes, garlic and onion. Sauté for several minutes. Add rapini and tofu meat. Cook until rapini starts to soften.
Add cheese sauce and spinach. Add the cooked pasta into pan, tossing to coat. Add pasta water to thin out. Season with sea salt pepper and cheese.