This Pear Cake takes minutes to whip up and will feed a crowd!
- 4 pears
- 1 1/ 3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/ 4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/ 2 cup ricotta or plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/ 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease an 8" circle cake tin with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and orange zest. Once combined, mix in the ricotta and oil. Lastly, sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold the batter until the mixture is soft and velvety.
Peel the pears. Slice 3 of the pears into 4-6 long chunks (each pear). Set aside. Chop the remaining pair into small chunks and fold it into the batter.
Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the remaining pear wedges on top of the cake, without sinking them into the cake.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 45-50 minutes. If the cake becomes too dark, decrease the oven temperature to 325℉ and prolong the cooking time by a few minutes.
Let the cooked cake cool on a wire baking rack for 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.