- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 (small) lemongrass stalk
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Gochujang
- 1 (10 ounce) packet ramen noodles
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/ 2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/ 2 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/ 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- scallion, sesame oil and hot sauce (for serving)
Add olive oil to a 5.5 quart dutch oven or pot and set over medium heat. Once shimmering, add celery, carrot and onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add stock, cinnamon stick, star anise pod, tamari, lemongrass, garlic and Gochujang and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cokk for about 15 minutes.
Drain the broth into a clean pot and bring to a simmer. Add noodled, zucchini and mushrooms and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the noodles and vegetables a cooked through.
Meanwhile, heat sesame oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add tofu and sear on each side until golden brown. Top with sesame seeds while warm.
Serve ramen topped with tofu, scallions, extra sesame oil and hot sauce, if desired.