photo by @andrealoretdemola
I absolutely adore a classic New York deli style chicken salad. Be it on a sandwich, in a plastic tub or a wrap, I'll eat it any way I can get it! I was so excited to create a recipe that would get me as close as possible to the NY deli, without actually having to leave my home.
For this recipe, I had 2 leftover chicken breasts from roasting a whole chicken. In order to keep them as fresh as possible, I shredded up the chicken breasts and packed them in my Zwilling Fresh & Save Vacuum Food Storage System. It uses a rechargeable vacuum pump to lock in all of the flavor, aromas, and vitamins of my leftovers. From there, it's as simple as unlocking the glass container, adding the shredded chicken and additional ingredients into a large bowl and mixing it up!
Also, pro tip, make sure when you're buying your celery, look for one that's super leafy. It's my secret ingredient and adds a ton of flavor!
- 31/2 cups shredded leftover roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 rib of celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup finely diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons celery leaves, chopped
- 11/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toasted bread, for serving
- Lettuce leaves, for serving
- Tomato, sliced, for serving
- Red onion, sliced, for serving
Add chicken, mayonnaise, Dijon, celery, onion, lemon juice to a large mixing bowl and stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve on lightly toasted bread with lettuce, tomato and sliced onion. Enjoy!