- 1 (honeycrisp, granny smith, pink lady) cored and thinly sliced apple
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 room temperature eggs
- 1/ 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/ 4 cup rolled oats
- 1/ 2 cup room temperature whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice, (or ground cinnamon)
Preheat oven to 425F. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Lightly grease each muffin cup of a 12 ct. muffin tin- I use the melted butter and a pastry brush.
Cut apple slices to fit in slightly overlapping layers. Layer 2 slices (4 pieces) in each muffin cup. Pour 1 tsp melted butter into each cup. Top with 1/2 tsp brown sugar in each cup. Place muffin tin into 425F oven for 10 minutes.
Place remaining ingredients (and any leftover melted butter) into a high speed blender. Blend until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Carefully pull the tin out of the oven, gently stir the apples (in case any are sticking) Pour batter into each cup, about 2/3 the way up. Place tin back into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Cool in the muffin tin on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. This helps the apples cool and caramelize enough to lift out intact. If not, they're still delicious served on top! Loosen edges and gently scoop out of the tin. A large spoon or offset spatula can help.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.