- 1/ 2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/ 4 cup neutral oil (such as grapeseed oil)
- 1/ 4 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 3/ 4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/ 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/ 2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 small (or 1 large) apple, cored and cut into cubes
- almonds, sliced
Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line an 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
Using an electric handheld mixer, In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cane sugar, oil and yogurt until smooth. Add plant milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla and beat for another 30 seconds.
Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and whisk until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and arrange apple cubes and almond slices on top, pressing them gently into the batter.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool to room temperature and run a knife around the edges before removing the cake from the pan.