Vegetarian Italian “Meatballs”
Prep time 10mins
Cook time 25mins
Serves or Makes: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, washed, dried and rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/ 2 cups cooked and cooled green lentils
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/ 4 cup fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup manchego, grated, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly black pepper, to taste
- zucchini noodles, for serving
- homemade or canned marinara sauce, for serving
In a skillet add olive oil over medium heat. Cook shallot until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, then add garlic and cook another minute until fragrant.
In the bowl of a food processor, add cooked lentils, eggs, and ground flax. Pulse until combined.
A cooked mushroom mixture, dried Italian seasonings, almond flour, basil, tomato paste and shredded cheese. Pulse until well combined. Season to taste.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Prep a parchment lined baking sheet.
Using greased hands, roll into 1 inch balls. Line the meatballs on to baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until firm and golden brown.
To serve, top zucchini noodles with meatballs. Add marinara sauce. Sprinkle of cheese and fresh basil.