- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 can (4.4 ounce) sardines in olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2-inch thick slices country bread, gluten-free if desired
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/ 4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Over a gas stove burner or grill, place red pepper over a medium-high flame to char, rotating the pepper as the sections blacken. Once the pepper has blackened completely, about 20 minutes. Place the pepper in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap to steam. The steam will allow the skin to loosen.
Once pepper is cool enough to touch, remove and discard the charred skin. Cut the pepper in half, and remove the seeds and membranes. Slice the pepper into ½” thick strips and set it aside.
Pour half the sardine oil from the can into the bowl with the roasted peppers. Add lemon juice and zest, parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste, stir until combined.
Toast bread in a toaster or under the broiler until golden brown, then immediately, rub the cut side of the garlic all over the bread while it is still warm .
Place two sardines on each toast, and top them off with the pepper mixture. Garnish with the thinly sliced red onion and a drizzle of the leftover olive oil mixture.