- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and 1/2" diced
- 3 small carrots, peeled and 1/2" diced
- 2 ribs celery, 1/2" diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Black peper, to taste
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 -6 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- Pinch fresh rosemary, thyme, or sage, finely chopped
- Chili crisp, for serving
- Bread (gluten-free, if necessary), for serving
Heat a medium heavy pot over medium-low heat.
Add olive oil and heat until shimmering slightly. Add shallots, carrots, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to pot and cook, stirring often, until tender and only lightly golden brown around the edges, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in garlic and turmeric and let bloom for about 1 minute.
Add lentils to pot and stir to coat in oil, then pour in stock. Bring pot to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, until lentils are completely smooth and mixture has thickened. Reduce heat to low, then stir in pumpkin puree and herbs until heated through. You can puree the soup to desired smoothness using a blender at this point or leave it as-is with texture.
Ladle into bowls and top with chili crisp and a side of bread for dipping.