- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (15-oz.) can Cannellini beans, drained & divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can tomato juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/ 3 cup raw cashews
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1/ 8 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and saute onion until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer onions to a small bowl and set aside.
Return pan to heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the drained cannellini beans along with the garlic and saute until the garlic is just starting to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add garlic, onion, whole peeled tomatoes, tomato juice, vegetable broth, cashews, thyme, basil, cayenne, and half your cannellini beans into your large Vitamix container with lid.
Select Variable 1 or the Hot Soups program (if available). Start the machine and slowly increase to the highest speed. Blend for about 6 minutes or run the Hot Soups program until complete. Stop the machine.
Add your remaining cannellini beans (without blending), divide into bowls and garnish with thyme and salt and pepper.
Serve with fresh sourdough bread. Enjoy!